Southeastern Estuarine Research Society
Registration and abstract submission is now open for our 2018 Spring Meeting to be held at Flagler College in St. Augustine, FL on March 8 – 10, 2018. Dr. Jessica Veenstra, Associate Professor of Natural Sciences, has been serving as our local host. The meeting will feature a special session on “Stormy Seas” and a plenary address by Dr. Hans Paerl. With the observed increased hurricane landings along the southeastern US, SEERS is calling for presentations in this special session that address the influence of storms on the components of these systems, such as changes in water quality, the effect of increased rainfall and wind on ecological communities, physical damage in terms of erosion, community resilience to hurricane damage, and restoration of communities after hurricanes. Presentations on other research topics related to estuaries and coasts are welcome as always. We hope to see you in St. Augustine!
Your SEERS Board is pleased to announce the opening of our new Member Services site at https://seers.wildapricot.org/. At this time, we ask current members to login, update your member profile, and make sure your dues are current. New members may also join now. Member benefits still include reduced meeting registration rates and allow students to apply for travel awards. In addition, the Jobs Listing will soon become a members-only benefit, and we will launch a Member Directory where you can find and send messages to your fellow SEERS members.
As always, we welcome your donations to support student services such as travel awards. Donations will now be handled through our Wild Apricot site, whether from members or from supporters outside our SEERS community.
Registration for the 2018 Spring meeting will open soon! Non-members will be able to access meeting registration, but only members will see the lower member rates, so please make sure your dues are up to date before you register for the meeting. Meeting sponsors may also use the new Services site to sign up and pay for sponsorship, which is open now.
We hope you find the new Member Services site to be a convenient way to maintain your SEERS membership, access member benefits, and register for meetings.
Happy New Year, SEERS members,
SEERS (and other CERF affiliate societies) are moving to a new web-based system for member services (e.g., membership renewal and meeting registration). Your Board is currently working to merge the SEERS member database into Wild Apricot, so you may see emails from the new system soon. No action is required from you at this point. Once the database has been merged into Wild Apricot, you will see another email from me with instructions on how to set up your account.
It is important to note that both existing and new members will need to set up their Wild Apricot accounts and renew or establish their memberships (including paying) before registering for the spring meeting. Otherwise, only non-member pricing will be available. If you have recently renewed your membership through CERF, you should show as an active member (but there may be a time lag since we have to receive the information from CERF and manually input into our database). If you haven’t renewed your SEERS membership yet, please wait and renew on Wild Apricot!
With this new system comes some updates to SEERS membership policies:
- Membership periods will now be in effect for 12 months from the date of sign-up or renewal. The previous system was Jan 1 – Dec 31, but the new system will be more flexible and allow members who sign up at meetings to enjoy a full year of member benefits.
- After 11 months of membership, members will receive an email reminder to renew. Two additional email reminders (7 days prior to and the day of the renewal deadline) will be sent before the membership is expired. Two weeks after a membership is expired, a grace period email will be sent, followed by an email 30 days after expiration stating that the membership has lapsed. In other words, there will be a 30-day grace period after the renewal deadline, but it’s in everyone’s best interest to renew early! Once a membership has lapsed, member benefits (reduced meeting prices, eligibility for student travel awards, access to the member directory, and communication from the Board and other members) will no longer be available.
- Members will now be able to manage their own member profiles, which should help with communication and networking among members since all active members will have access to the directory. CERF will also have access to the directory.
- When members sign-up, they will be asked whether they wish to opt-in to CERF’s mailing list for third parties.
- All SEERS communications will occur via Wild Apricot in the near future and the UGA listserv will be phased out.
This is a new system and the Board asks for your patience as we break it in. Please help SEERS by reporting any technical difficulties to email@example.com.
Once the membership database is merged into Wild Apricot, we will send another email to let you know membership renewal is open. Once your membership is established (and paid), you will be ready to register for the spring meeting.
Thanks for all you do for our estuaries! We hope this new system serves you well.
Nikki Dix, SEERS Secretary
Please plan to join us at Flagler College in St. Augustine, FL on March 8-10, 2018! Details to follow.